In a world of beeps and clicks, Smile reminds us there is a human on the other side of every screen. We are a globally distributed 50+ person company with employees in Canada, the USA, South America, EMEA, and APAC. Our team has a strong emphasis on cross-cultural and timezone collaboration. We’ve been recognized as a “Best Place to Work” in Canada and look forward to expanding this on a global scale.
Our team is building the loyalty layer of the internet and currently already powers over 80,000 rewards programs, reaching more than 500 million shoppers. Above everything else we strive to make people happy —from the merchant to their consumer, to our own team (yes, our name really is fitting).
About the Team:
The team at Smile.io believes in being proud of your code, owning what you ship, and embracing new tools to increase developer happiness. We believe small, empowered teams can ship products with the highest impact. Right now we’re working on expanding our product to support the massive growth of e-commerce.
We value diversity, inclusion, and belonging. It helps us build a better product, it helps us create opportunities for growth and change. It helps us enjoy the work we do and create a supportive creative environment to do our best work. It helps us to be human.
About the Role:
We need someone to help us help build and scale the foundations of our remote work culture through tooling, process, and the digital working environment for all our staff to do our best work. This is a role that will help us ensure everyone at Smile can securely, and seamlessly do the best work they can. This role will report to Alex Witherspoon, the VP of Engineering, and we’ll work together to scale the function of IT at Smile.
We are a predominantly Apple shop, but welcome Linux and Windows when employees prefer it. Our employees work worldwide in a range of countries. We use many online modern SaaS tools such as GitHub, Gmail, Slack, Jira, and many more. We are entering a new phase of growth and need someone to lead the transition from a traditional, smaller company, ‘communal IT’ to something more structured, robust, and scalable. This is a great opportunity for someone with a strong vision to implement an ’employee paradise’ from the ground up when it comes to awesome support, modern tech, and the remote first design for information technology. If this is interesting to you, apply today!
What you’ll help us achieve:
- Maintain essential IT operations, including operating systems, security tools, applications, email systems, laptops, desktops, software, and hardware
- Develop and operate our AAA, and SSO approach with a distributed remote workforce
- Handle business-critical IT tasks and systems administration
- Research and evaluate emerging technologies, hardware, and software
- Track and maintain hardware and software inventory
- Analyze department needs, identify vulnerabilities, and boost productivity, efficiency, and accuracy to inform business decisions
- Continuously analyze current process, technologies, and vendors to identify areas of improvement
- Prepare cost benefits analysis reports when upgrades are necessary, continuously analyzing vendors to ensure they offer the best possible service and value for company needs
- Train employees on both software and hardware, troubleshoot, and provide technical support when needed
- Act as a strategic business partner to internal functions such as Product and Merchant Experience teams to suggest, implement, and maintain IT initiatives to drive business success
Who you are:
- Detail-oriented, and clear communicator
- Have high empathy in everything you do
- Enjoy enabling others with excellent working experiences
- Enjoy and thrive in a remote-first, distributed work culture
- Highly self-directed and take initiative to go above and beyond expectations with limited direction
- Value clear written and verbal communication
- Able to pick up new concepts quickly and put them into practice
- Use data to validate your hypotheses and inform your decision making
- You enjoy automating
- You believe in simplicity over complexity
- You value agility and the ability to shift focus quickly
- You’re more focused on outcomes over output
Bonus if you have:
- Infrastructure as Code experience
- Security by Design, and Privacy by Design principles
- Experience with Okta, Jamf, Apple, SAML, SSO, and similar modern remote work stacks.
Who We Are:
Human. The reason we do anything is to help another human succeed—whether they be on our team, one of our merchants or one of our merchants’ shoppers. We approach our work with open hearts and complete authenticity, always remembering how our actions impact the human on the other side of the screen.
Humble. We value our differences and leave egos at the door to find the solution that creates the most competitive advantage for our merchants, regardless of their source. We celebrate everyone’s wins as if they were our own and go out of our way to give others recognition.
Hungry. Our drive to help others keeps us committed to infinite learning and taking initiative when no one is watching. As a team, we welcome ambiguity as it is an opportunity to leave our mark and understand autonomy and accountability go hand in hand.
Our commitment to candidates:
At Smile, we understand that finding a new role is challenging and that self-doubt or imposter syndrome can prevent you from applying to a role, don’t let it! You have a ton to offer and we want you to feel encouraged to apply, even if you don’t check all of the boxes. If you are passionate about eCommerce and helping merchants grow through loyalty and reward, connect with us.
At Smile, we rely on a range of backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We value diversity, and we’re proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.